Thursday, January 31

Jazz Giant Dresses For The Cold

very cool and very warm
This cold weather theme continues.

Even in my cold state, I remembered a great photo of Eric Dolphy and thought "Here's a man who knows how to dress for winter."

A jazz giant, and knows how to rock the knit sweater and hat.

I could talk at length about Dolphy, and I will do so soon. I wrote about his integral role in Oliver Nelson's "Blues and the Abstract Truth", which was one of the albums I discovered and fell in love with very early in my jazz journey. It could also be the best album title of all time.

The guy was a shocking talent. He excelled at the flute, bass clarinet, alto saxophone, soprano clarinet, baritone saxophone and piccolo. I'm sure he could have made great jazz on any woodwind that came his way. He played with most of the giants before setting out on his own, including playing on some of my favourite Mingus recordings including the brilliant but oddly titled  album Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus Mingus (Impulse! 1963).

I also love his recordings with Chico Hamilton and that California sound is called cool jazz, but maybe it will warm us with thoughts of beaches and margaritas and bright sunshine.

His playing on "Beyond the Blue Horizon" is lovely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment