Friday, February 1

The Saxophone Trio. part one

have bike, will travel
Yesterday we spoke about the trio combination of saxophone, bass and drums. It’s certainly not your most common form of trio, but once you start thinking about it (as I did last night as I sipped a northern IPA) you’ll realize there are no shortage of fantastic examples of the saxophone trio.

I think we should look into this phenomenon over the coming weeks.

There’s a lot to like about a sax trio. Well…if you don’t go for saxophone music in general for some reason, and I know there’s some people so afflicted out there in the world…then move on. You won’t go for a sax trio. For the rest of us, let's break it down.

What I like is that each piece is so integral. This is not a lush quintet with a three piece rhythm section and a couple of horns. No, this is lean. It’s immediate. You need to be one damn fine sax player to make it work and it helps if your two-piece rhythm section is skilled too. You’re going to need everyone at the top of their game to make it work.

Last night’s example was led by Dexter Gordon. I was listening to the album Lullaby for a Monster (SteepleChase, 1981, recorded 1976)

He’s a jazz giant, of course, and there’s a biography of him called The Sophisticated Giant, so I guess he had class as well. Or maybe they’re talking about his playing. Sophisticated could work as an adjective. He was also damned tall, though 6’6” isn’t quite giant. Close enough I guess.

the jazz man and jazz dog

The band on Lullaby for a Monster is:

Dexter Gordon-tenor saxophone
Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen-bass
Alex Riel-drums

Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen is arguably the best jazz bassist Europe ever produced. I might have simply said ‘best bassist’ and cut the ‘jazz’ qualifier, but John Entwistle’s ghost might haunt me if I didn’t at least acknowledge that he might also be in the runner for the ‘Best of Europe’ crown. 

you'd be happy in this trio too
Pedersen is a great bass player, let’s leave it at that and not get too far off topic. Listening to him and Alex Riel is a delight. Riel sounds so much like the great Elvin Jones that I had to check the liner notes to see if it was indeed Coltrane’s favourite behind the skins. It wasn’t. Riel can hold his own in this illustrious company.

Have a listen to the title track. Oh yeah. You’ve got to love Pedersen and Riel’s groove as we lead in. Enjoy this one. I’ll listen to this as I drive home today. Tonight I’ll choose something else though. A bit of lovely chill after a long week. Are you still coming by at 8:30?

No comments:

Post a Comment