Monday, January 28

Jazz to Play While Reading

It’s nice to spend a lunch hour in a comfortable chair reading a book. A pleasant break from the work day.

Sure, I can hear you say that I could read in the gym while pumping an elliptical machine, but at least I walked up to the third floor and found a spot near a window where I could warmly look out at the frigid winter chill while I read modern lit.

good and sweaty
I was listening to jazz as I read. Something that wouldn’t distract me too much. I needed to get away from horns and large bands that would pull me from the words. A piano trio was a fine solution. I turned to one of my finest countrymen, Oscar Peterson’s Trio-Live in Chicago.

The trio consists of:
Oscar Peterson – piano
Ray Brown-bass
Ed Thigpen-drums


Brown and Thigpen are seasoned pros and they lay down a crisp and mellow place for Oscar to display his genius. He’s one of the greats of course, though he probably doesn't get the cred he deserves these days. The Trio is definitely worth a listen. It would have been a great show that night in Chicago, 1961.

I can give you a taste for now. How about ‘Sometimes I’m Happy.’ 

Enjoy my friend and let’s talk tonight about that screenplay. A know a guy who suggested he could compose a cello-based score.

No comments:

Post a Comment