Thursday, January 17

John Coltrane gives me a Bernsteinian moment

You’re a film nerd like me, so you know that famous scene in Citizen Kane where Mr. Bernstein (played by Everett Sloane) says this to Charles Foster Kane:

he'll never forget her
“A fellow will remember a lot of things you wouldn't think he'd remember. You take me. One day, back in 1896, I was crossing over to Jersey on the ferry, and as we pulled out, there was another ferry pulling in, and on it there was a girl waiting to get off. A white dress she had on. She was carrying a white parasol. I only saw her for one second. She didn't see me at all, but I'll bet a month hasn't gone by since that I haven't thought of that girl.”


This scene came to mind last night when I put on John Coltrane’s ‘My FavoriteThings’ (click to listen) at high volume, which I find essential for this tune.
It’s been a long time since I’ve listened to it. It came at me yesterday from the album “1963: New Directions” by John Coltrane. It’s a three-disc set that gathers his 1963 master recordings. It’s a fantastic album that includes his lovely recordings with Johnny Hartman which I have written about before.
The 1963 recordings also have some live cuts from the album “Newport ‘63”, which has a version of ‘My Favorite Things’ in all its bombastic glory.
Now why did I start this piece by talking about Citizen Kane?
I can still remember the first time I really heard Coltrane’s recording of ‘My Favorite Things.’ I was in university and doing some work in the library. I had headphones on and was listening to my Discman. (Remember those gadgets?) 
I wanted this sooo badly
It was one of the discs from the “The Last Giant” 2-CD set. What I really wanted was “The Heavyweight Champion: The Complete Atlantic Recordings” but that was far too expensive for a student’s income. I had to settle for the 2-CD version, which was still pretty fantastic.
As I heard that soprano wail yesterday, and McCoy Tyner’s masterful playing, I was instantly transported back through the decades in a Bernsteinian flashback. 
Me and jazz...we've been together a long time.


ADDITION: Upon further reflection, as much as I like the term, this isn't a case of Bernsteinian flashback is it? No, it's more like a Proustian version, where my hearing a song is like Marcel eating a madeleine and is suddenly brought back in time... Oh well. Forgive me for this won't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment