Tuesday, January 29

A Few Hundred Words About Charlie Rouse

no pressure...but Monk's watching
Yesterday I tossed Charlie Rouse, tenor saxophonist, at you without much preamble or story. I was too damned cold and barely had feeling in my digits to post to the blog. Yes, it was that cold. Still is. 

Charlie Rouse was born in Washington D.C., so he grew up with some snow over the winter, but has that city ever seen -40 degree temperatures? Doubtful. That city is all about the heat. Not some sort of metaphorical heat linked to his status as seat of government, but literal heat with records being broken each summer.

Rouse knew about heat, some of the metaphorical kind, as sax player in Thelonious Monk’s band from 1959-1970. This was not an easy gig. Monk could be a tough boss, as a genius can be I guess, and he expected his players to be able to pick up what he wanted from them quickly and without much direction. He didn't want players to learn from a written score since he felt learning without it helped them understand the music on a deeper level. 

Rouse seemed to fit in with the eccentric player and he played on many Monk albums in the 1960s including the all-time classics “Criss Cross”, and “Monk’s Dream”.

rouse on sax, watkins on french horn
In the 1950s, Rouse made several albums with Julius Watkins, who is, as far as I know, the only French horn player in jazz. Okay, surely there are others out there but I’ve never heard of them. They formed a group called The Jazz Modes and I like some of their recordings, but as soon as vocals kick in on some of the tracks…I’m out. It dates the record. 

You could always find those albums and make a playlist out of the non-vocal tracks if you care to. Have a listen to them on Bohemia.

This band also features the obscure and fabulous Gildo Mahones, who didn’t record nearly enough under his own name.

Years after Monk's band, Rouse played on one of my favourite live albums, and one that I’ve discussed before, “The Seagulls of Kristiansund” (Soul Note, 1987) by the Mal Waldron Quartet. That album also features Woody Shaw and is essential listening.

Charlie Rouse is a fantastic player and I know you like Monk and have listened to him often, so you’re probably familiar with his outstanding talent without realizing it.

I hope this makes up for yesterday's brevity.

No comments:

Post a Comment