Tuesday, April 24

This One's For Doris

Sitting in my car. Lunchtime. Shelley Manne's "Live at the Blackhawk" is playing. Wonder Why. Victor Feldman has a light touch on the keys in this one. The band's channeling the Ahmad Jamal Trio.

(Though let’s be honest: I enjoy Feldman’s playing, but it doesn’t have those astonishing otherworldly moments of Jamal.)

The season is finally turning over. I think spring is here to stay. A lot of change in the world right now. A new day job for me in a few days. A new book percolating and maybe ready to come out.

Lets agree that Wonder Why will be my soundtrack for the coming weeks. Upbeat. Cool. Relaxed yet propelled forward at a steady pace.


Turn off the news, sweet Doris. There’s nothing we need there today. 


Ahmad Jamal smiles, as we all do when we hear him play

No comments:

Post a Comment