Tuesday, April 17

Recorded Live at The Black Hawk

buy every volume. you won't regret it
Tonight as I get dinner together I’m listening to one of my all-time favourites. I’m making pizza and about to spread some flour and decide whether I should open a Belgian or Canadian beer.

‘Summertime’ is playing. It’s been recorded hundreds of times and with the exception of Billy Stewart’s classic, this might be my favourite recording of it.

Manne is the drummer, but he doesn't dominate the recordings, as someone like Buddy Rich or Art Blakey can do. He put together a killer band and he let them do their thing. They were settling into a long stand at the club and they seemed relaxed together. They played like men who loved what the others on the bandstand were playing, and were uplifted by it.

Other than Manne, they're not very well known outside of jazz circles, though they were all solid West Coast players:

Shelley Manne - drums
Joe Gordon - trumpet
Richie Kamuca - tenor sax
Victor Feldman - piano
Monty Budwig - bass

This band is tight. They sound like they've been playing together for years. For me, the stand out is Victor Feldman, who I listened to a lot after I discovered this recording. An English musical prodigy, he was primarily a vibist and percussionist and the legend goes that he didn't play piano until shortly before this recording was made. I'm not sure if that's true, but I like the story enough that I choose to believe it.

Just now I realize that I have to track down some of Richie Kamuca recordings so we can talk about them next time we get together.

The lovely Blue Daniel just started. Such a great song, especially now that things are feeling pretty heavy at home and around the world.

Head over any time. Pizza will be ready soon.

Belgian it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment