Tuesday, April 17

Albums That All Humans Should Own #9

I've never denied the fact that my jazz tastes peak in the late 1950s. I think a majority of jazz fans feel the same. How many books have been written about 1959 being the greatest year in jazz history? A lot of great music was made in the decades before and after, but if I had to pick only one decade of jazz to listen to until the end of my days, of course it would be the 1950s.

An example of a great album that I'd never listen to in that scenario, would be my next recommendation for Essential Album.

'Souvenirs de Django Reinhardt' by Django Reinhardt (1947) is my ninth pick of essential albums that all humans should own.


Man...Django can play! Anyone who is familiar with his music is rolling their eyes at the obviousness of my observation. Like saying water is wet. 

The thing that strikes me about this recording, beginning with the first track, Minor Swing, is how modern his playing sounds. He got incredible tone from that electric guitar and he sounds like he was loving this new toy he's been playing.

The story goes that he first played an electric guitar during his first visit to America in 1947, but wasn't terribly impressed with them, calling them "tin pots". Back in Europe, he had an electric bar pickup added to his Maccaferri, and that fantastic electric archtop sound is born.

I went on a tear last year after falling in love with this revelatory album and bought many of his recordings, but none of them reached me the way this did.

Maybe the gypsy jazz sound isn't for you. Listen, If that's the case, I urge you to put aside those preconceived notions and listen to this album. It will get into you. You are powerless to resist the vigor with which Django plays.

No comments:

Post a Comment