Tuesday, April 10

Was Nathan Davis The Greatest Flautist?

Jazz Concert in a Benedictine Monastery is hard to find but worth the search
I can face facts. I know that jazz flute has a bad rap. It's easy to understand why. Maybe that god awful album cover of Herbie Mann's Push Push was the final nail.

You've told me that most people find it difficult to relate to that upper register that doesn't have that same soul as a saxophone. It's not easy to swing on a flute. Maybe you're right.

But friends, Nathan Davis could do it. The man could play any sax too. He could probably rock a kazoo.

If you're doubting me, and I know at least one of you is, have a listen to Uschimaus (from the album 'Jazz Concert in a Benedictine Monastery' (1972) or on the collection 'The Best of 1965-76') and your doubts will be cast aside.

The recording quality is pretty poor, but the band is stellar and they cooked in that Benedictine Monastery. They probably had some of those monks realizing that God was right there, in jazz all along.
yikes. someone toss this man a shirt

Well, Nathan Davis died yesterday, and that's another Great who's moved on. It makes me wish that I was religious like those monks and then I would have some solace in thinking that he's jamming in the great beyond. It would be a great band up there, or down there, wherever.

Who knows. Maybe I'll be lucky and the afterlife is a jazz club in permanent happy hour. Dollar a drink, top shelf only.

2 comments:

  1. That is a tough LP to find. There are copies going for £200 a time on discogs. Gonna have to save my pennies.
    What other Nathan Davis LPs can you recommend?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know his music can be difficult to find, but I am a big fan of his music, especially the albums from the '60s. A good place to start is the 'Greatest Hits' album "The Best Of Nathan Davis '65-76". It has the brilliant track 'Uschimaus' which is from the Benedictine Monastery album.

      Delete