Wednesday, February 6

Sorry Sonny, I Can't Do St. Thomas

Relationships are tough. Even great relationships will have times that are damned difficult. Relationships can do permanent damage. Relationships can even destroy a perfectly fine jazz standard.

That look...You're making me feel guilty.
Okay. It's confession time.

I don't like Sonny Rollins' classic tune "St. Thomas" that was first released on the album Saxophone Colossus (Prestige, 1956).

In fact, I don't like any version of that song.

'Why?' you ask.

I understand your confusion. You know better than anyone how much I like Sonny Rollins. He's one of the greats. Top 5 tenor sax players all time.

But as soon as I hear those first playful notes that should bring to mind Caribbean joy, I cringe.

I went out with someone who loved that song. Oh god how she loved it. She loved it so much that she wanted to make a CD (yes, this story takes place in those archaic days of the compact disc) that contained every version of "St. Thomas" that she could find. Could you image that? 70 minutes of St. Thomas over and over and over and over? There are no shortage of recordings of that track since it has become a jazz standard so she could have done it, but no. No, no, no, no. Not for this guy. Sorry Sonny, but your happy song brings back the blues.

No comments:

Post a Comment