Friday, February 8

Because it's hard to get enough Jim

more Jim, if you can find it
A few years back someone came across some tapes, I assume they were reel to reel. I'm not sure of the exact story of how these lost recordings came to light, but somehow they were found in  someone's closet or in a box in a garage, or some collector had been hording them and not sharing.

What I know for certain is that word got out that there may be, just may be more of that magic that the Jim Hall Trio recorded in 1975 and was released as Jim Hall Live!

It turns out that other Toronto dates that fantastic trio played in June of 1975 were recorded. Could it be possible that these newfound recordings were as good as Jim Hall Live!?

They were. These new recordings are absolutely fantastic. It's the same trio of Hall, Thompson and Clarke and you'll hear that the band was brilliant night after night. You'll also notice that people in jazz clubs yap on and on. I've noticed that when I'm out at a club. I want to turn to people as they yammer on about their cell phone plan "Don't you hear the magic that's happening on that stage?" 

The albums were released as Jim Hall Live, Volumes 2-4.

Though the albums are pricey and could be hard to find, I wanted to let you know about them and that you should snap them up if you find them somewhere. If they were more readily available, I would have put them all together and said that Jim Hall Live Volumes 1-4 were my 10th, 11th, 12th, and 13th picks for Albums That All Humans Should Own.

Of course, I couldn't resist buying this set, so you can listen tonight when you stop by.

No comments:

Post a Comment