Wednesday, April 13

Poor Eric

It's been a busy day of babies with each spare moment dedicated to Emmerson Street Press and friends, there's been no time for jazz.

Sadness, yes, yes.

But jazz has been on my mind. I am trying to decide what I will listen to in a couple of hours once babies go to sleep.

Okay, I've made a snap decision.

yet another wicked Blue Note cover
I will listen to 'Poor Eric' as recorded by Jackie McLean's killer band from the mid-60s. It's on the album Right Now! (1965, Blue Note) 

The song, with it's oddly slow dirge-like tempo, was written by the band's pianist, Larry Willis, as an elegy to Eric Dolphy who at age 36 died suddenly from undiagnosed diabetes.

Sounds like a fun song, right?

Perhaps you think it odd that I would choose a song that seems so sombre after such a lovely day; and there is no shortage of sadness in this track, my friends.

Here: listen.

 Be honest, how many of you stopped listening after the first ten seconds?

Wait until 2:33 when Jackie starts his alto sax solo.  He's a genius at melody isn't he?
Bob Cranshaw's bowed bass.  Surely you loved that.  You gotta love a great bass player.
Larry Willis plays an exquisite solo before Jackie takes another solo (and when you can play like Jackie McLean you can solo as much as you want and trust me no one is complaining).

The skill with which this song is played transcends any sad motivation behind it.  By the end of the 10:13 min track, you travel from the sombre to the sublime to the divine.

Yes, friends, it's a great track played by a top-notch band and I look forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment