Monday, April 11

Dinner Music

cheesy photo of Bird
I am making risotto, my wife is exercising and babies are in bed. What shall we listen to while I fry onions in olive oil and butter? Charlie Parker's 'I Get A Kick Out Of You' is on at the moment. Parker is one of the giants of jazz, one of the top two or three most influential artists in the genre. It's also energized music rippling with melody. Parker it is. Did you know that his nickname was 'Bird'? One of the best nicknames in jazz. Give Bird a try, friends, and you're sure to love him as I do.

He had all sorts of problems (damn you heroin!) but let's not dwell on the negative as so many people do in this wonderful world. Instead let's enjoy those gorgeous flowing runs that sound so effortless.

By the way, is their anything that stimulates the appetite more than the smell of frying onions?

No comments:

Post a Comment