Tuesday, April 19

The Best Singer You've Never Heard Of

I am working today in our lovely sunroom/library and Beverly Kenney is singing.  She is yet another tragic story from the world of jazz, but in this site's ongoing effort to avoid dwelling on the numerous sad stories in jazz, let's focus on the music.  If you want the full tragic story, you can do your own googling.

poor sad Beverly
Kenney has a wonderful voice; relaxed, cool, and as easy to listen to as a Chet Baker trumpet solo.  Her best known album is 'Born To Be Blue' (listen to the gorgeous title track!) and if you can find it, I recommend it.  She only released seven albums (one consisted of demos and was put out forty years after her heartbreaking suicide - oops! I didn't want to get into any of that....) so all of them are worth getting.

It's perfect music to work to.  A shame her life went the way it did...  No, no, no, I won't get into it.  Let's just focus on the music my friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment