Wednesday, April 20

How much MJQ is too much MJQ?

the modern jazz quartet

If I have one weakness it is Mosaic Records. Well... I also have a weakness for strong dark roast coffee.  I try to keep it at two cups a day but that 2:30 cup is often the best.

Mosaic Records puts out amazing jazz box sets full of rarities and unreleased material.  I could go on and on about some sets of the past but I will restrain myself.  Okay, I'll just mention that the Ahmad Jamal set is superb.  I will have to write about him soon.  His drummer Vernel Fournier! A revelation!

Coming soon from Mosaic is this:
The Complete Atlantic Studio Recordings of The Modern Jazz Quartet 1956-64 (7 CDs)

And here's what they say about the MJQ: "That soundOne group conceived it. Defined it. Perfected it. The Modern Jazz Quartet was certainly one of the most distinctive voices in the history of jazz, thanks to the unique qualities of personal expression and collective vision of its members."

And they are very good. They are one of the tightest bands in the history of jazz.  They preferred the concert hall over the nightclub.  These were skilled and serious men, serious about the music and about presenting it with class and dignity.  And the music is strong!  I admit, sometimes I miss a horn player... but Milt jackson sure can ring those bells.

So the question is this: is seven CDs of MJQ too much MJQ?  The set contains fourteen albums! MJQ is not in regular rotation in this house.  I listen to them for a few hours but then I drift away again.  I should admit that I already own MJQ: 40 which is a four CD greatest hits so there is bound to be some overlap...  Surely four discs is enough, right?

Ahhh, who am I kidding. I'm going to buy it.

No comments:

Post a Comment