Monday, August 13

Johnny Smith on Guitar

The Intense Mr. Smith
My three year old daughter has had trouble sleeping lately so last night I told her I would put some music playing in her room. I decided on 'The Best of Wynton Kelly' (which is available cheap on iTunes and holds boundless riches).

'I don't like this jazz, daddy,' she tells me. What?? I love Wynton Kelly but perhaps he's not for everyone. I would have tried to convince her of Wynton's many merits, but debating the finer points of jazz with a child is a fruitless task.

Instead I put on one of the great jazz albums of all time: 'Walk, Don't Run' (1954) by Johnny Smith.

Mr. Smith has one of the most instantly recognizable sounds in jazz. If you are a fan of his music (which all of you should be) it only takes a few bars of his superlative playing for you to know to whom that clean smooth tone belongs.

The title track became a hit for The Ventures and it was one of the first songs to usher in the surfer sound in the 60s. It makes one wonder if there would have been a Beach Boys without Johnny Smith...

My daughter loved this gorgeous album and I'm sure you will too. All of his albums are worth seeking out. Enjoy, 'Walk, Don't Run' my friends; a perfect song to fall asleep to, or to drive to work to, or to do just about anything to. It's hard to not love Johnny Smith.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds, good. I'll have to look into this one. Great story about your daughter (how time flies). Incidently, my five-year-old digs Jimmy Smith and Jimmy Cliff (no kidding). I guess Johnny rounds out the Holy Trinity of Smiths.

    ReplyDelete