Tuesday, August 28

Still Dizzy after all these years...


I have still been listening to a lot of Dizzy Gillespie but this time I am able to share the track with you. This song, 'My Heart Belongs To Daddy' is a jazz standard written by Cole Porter and has been recorded roughly 1,000,000 times (a slight exageration perhaps...) and though I have many fine versions of it, this one by Dizzy's band from 1959 is my favourite - or at least my current favourite.

This band doesn't have a cast of heavyweights, other than Sam Jones on bass, but don't let that fool you into thinking that this track is anything less than stellar. Les Spann plays some great guitar, which is all the more impressive since he was primarily a flautist! Another example proving that jazz musicians are in a class of their own. The combination of Dizzy's trumpet and Les' flute is wonderful on other tracks on the album so it may be worth tracking it down. You won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment