Monday, June 18

The Art of the Trio - Barney Kessel

I've written a fair deal about how I have recently been enjoying the jazz trio and the vast variety of sounds that can be produced, and that isn't just with the piano at the centre; the guitar trio also offers delights.

I have been loving Barney Kessel lately and this amazing song 'Crisis' is not only a great example of Barney's swinging style, but, like the Bill Evans Trio, shows how large a role the drummer and bassist play in the song. This isn't just Barney saying 'Listen to me! Aren't I amazing??' since from those opening moments of Shelly Manne and Ray Brown (both giants in their own right) laying down a captivating beat, you are aware that this group is a strong and cohesive unit.

I know you will enjoy this one my friends!

2 comments: