Friday, June 8

Ladies and gentlemen, Ray Crawford

you don't get much cooler than this
I am new to the music of Ray Crawford, and friends, I wish he recorded more. His incredible album Smooth Groove has been in constant rotation this week, making for a very groovy few days.

I am familiar with him from his recordings with the great Ahmad Jamal (he played on his earliest recordings before Vernel Fournier joined the group. I would have loved to hear what Crawford and Fournier would have done together!), but on Smooth Groove (1961) he has a bluesy feel that I can't get enough of. Have I mentioned that I wish he recorded more? Cecil Payne is a stand-out on baritone sax and the entire band is in top form.

Have a listen to the delightful "Miss April" then do yourself a favour and buy this disc immediately.  Weekend is upon us and you'd be hard pressed to find a better summer weekend soundtrack. If only he'd recorded more...

No comments:

Post a Comment