Monday, January 4

What's Spinning Today

The highlights of the day are two albums by artists that have recorded together (way back in the late 40's I believe... more research to come...)

The first is an alto saxophonist of whom I am eager to become more familiar. His music is energizing and his tone is crisp and clear and reminds me of an upbeat Paul Desmond.

'Smack Up' by the Art Pepper Quintet is highly recommended.

As I first picked up this disc I wondered if the title was a reference to heroin (truly a plague in jazz) and upon doing some research it was revealed that Art Pepper was indeed hooked and shortly after this album was released would serve time in prison for drug offenses.

How many jazz careers were cut short by junk? More than I care to think about. Certainly a somber topic for another post.

But let's remain joyous here and enjoy this fabulous collection of tunes. The title track is very strong, Las Cuevas De Mario is delightful as is How Can You Lose.  I love this album, even the two bonus tracks (two versions of the rollicking toe-tapping Solid Citizens) and it is certainly going to remain in heavy rotation here on the 20th floor for some time to come.

The second album is a live album by the late great Charles Mingus 'Mingus at the Bohemia'. As you can guess from the title of this blog, I am a huge Mingus fan. He put out several fabulous live albums over the  years and this one ranks up there with any of them. (The cover art is also fabulous!)  His basswork is spectacular as always, but it is his compositions that stand out. Who cannot marvel at Jump Monk or Work Song?  I feel fortunate to be listening to the extended tracks of this live gig that were collected on Mingus' 'The Complete Debut Recordings' which I found in a used CD shop in Toronto a couple of years ago and continue to pour over like a archeologist tinkering with Roman gold artifacts.

Though few jazz aficionados would dare argue that there is another bassist that rivals Mingus, I would go so far as to say that there are few composers that are his equal. Do you disagree?  Honestly?

The babies are waking up from their midday nap so, my friends, I will stop writing for now.  What jazz shall I introduce them to this afternoon?

No comments:

Post a Comment