Friday, January 8

The Birth of Louis Armstrong = The Birth of Jazz


It would be easy to write a few thousand words about Louis Armstrong, about how he was one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century both as a trumpeter and as a singer.  Not only did he take jazz from its infancy and create a new structure (which can be heard on the collection Portrait of an Artist as a Young Man which does not have a terribly original title, though I promise you the music is tops) but he also revolutionized pop vocals and everyone on the Top 40 owes the man a debt, though I doubt many of them realize that.

I want to talk about one brief point since I have little time; the babies are stirring from their morning nap as I write this.

It is said that Louis Armstrong was born in a New Orleans brothel.  Do you think this is true, or is it simply part of jazz mythology?  Doesn't it seem a bit too perfect that the father of jazz should be born in such a place?

No comments:

Post a Comment