Tuesday, December 29

My Man Paul Chambers Gets No Respect

If you have been reading this blog then you know I have a fondness for the bass work of Paul Chambers. It mystifies me that he does not rank higher in the jazz world. But let's face it, bassists rarely get the respect they deserve, and I suspect this is true across all genres.

Need proof, my friends?

An album was recently released called 'Sides of Blue: The Jazz Greats Who Played on Kind of Blue'.

The album has tracks by Wynton Kelly (1 song), Cannonball Adderley (1 song) , John Coltrane (3 songs) , and Bill Evans (3 songs).

Hmmm... who is missing from that list?

 Mr. Paul Chambers, of course. Sure, he  was the sideman on one of the Bill Evans tracks (Woody'n You) as well as the Wynton Kelly (Willow Weep For Me) but why not give Paul Chambers his due? After all, Wynton Kelly didn't even play piano on every track on 'Kind of Blue' (why would he when Bill Evans was around?) yet he gets a track on 'Sides of Blue'.

If you buy 'Sides of Blue', which isn't such a bad idea as it is a pretty decent compilation (though you could buy better) and if you download it from iTunes or another similar site, I propose you also spring the 99 cents and download Chamber Mates by Paul Chambers (listen to that bass work! and the compositional skill!) as add it to the album. It is worth it for the man's bowed solo. The man could make the double bass sing and it is time the jazz world gave him the respect and status he so rightly deserves.

Okay okay, I will get off my pedestal now since my dinner is ready (a Mexican feast!) and Yusef's Mood by the multi-instrumentalist Yusef Lateef is playing.  Another delightful night!

No comments:

Post a Comment