Wednesday, March 20

Tanya sounds like Dat Dere

Dexter's a class act
As recent posts will attest, Dexter Gordon has been on my mind lately and I’ve been listening to him a lot. One track in particular caught my ear; it’s one of my favourites. 'Tanya' from the album One Flight Up (Blue Note 1964). It’s another fantastic album with another amazing band.

Dexter Gordon - tenor saxophone
Donald Byrd - trumpet
Kenny Drew - piano
Niels-Henning Orsted Pedersen - bass
Art Taylor – drums

I highly recommend the album and encourage you to listen to it as soon as possible.

This morning as I was grooving to 'Tanya' on my way to work, a strange thing happened. I realized that the catchy chorus sounds almost identical to Bobby Timmons’ song 'Dat Dere'. 'Dat Dere' was initially released on This Here Is Bobby Timmons (Riverside, 1960) has been recorded many times and it’s a great tune. 'Tanya' was written by Donald Byrd.

one of the best jazz album covers
I know that the theme doesn’t make the song and that Tanya is 18+ minutes of goodness, but there are similarities there. Borrowing from songs that came before is a natural part of music, especially jazz, so I don’t begrudge Donald Byrd or Dexter Gordon. Maybe he swiped the tune inadvertently, or maybe he loved 'Dat Dere' and wrote his theme as an homage.

I think you should come over and we can crack a craft beer and listen to the songs back to back. I’d appreciate your opinion. How about 8:30 once the kids go to bed?

In case you want to listen ahead of time and formulate some discussion points, here's Tanya and Dat Dere.

No comments:

Post a Comment