Thursday, November 22

Regrets, Milt

I told you it would happen. I love 'Bag's Opus' but lately I have been listening to 'Bags and Trane', which is an incredible album Milt recorded with John Coltrane and an all-star line-up in 1959. Perhaps I should have named it the #7 album that all humans should own. Shall we call it #7.5?

two of the greatest
Have a listen to the title track and as soon as you hear the great Hank Jones play that opening riff you know you are in for something special. Milt and John have a great repoir. My man Paul Chambers plays some great bass as well and Kenny Clarke is great on drums, as he always is.

This really is a stellar disc and I can't recommend it highly enough. It was recorded the year before Coltrane released his seminal 'Giant Steps' and began to create one of the great bodies of work in modern jazz.

No comments:

Post a Comment