Tuesday, October 9

Who Doesn't Love a Bargain?

amazing amazing amazing

My wife likes to tease me about liking second hand shops and that doing so is a Ponka family tradition. I don't deny it - I admit to a thrill upon finding those gems that you occassionally discover. I especially love used book stores and I am still thrilled that I got the three volume set of Paul Metcalf's Collected Works in hardcover for $45 during a recent trip to Minneapolis. I am reading his Genoa with awe.

My love of a bargain goes for music too. Friends, you know I am willing to drop $100+ dollars on a Mosaic box set (the Charles Mingus set ships in three weeks! I can't wait!) but there are amazing deals for the bargain hunter to be had out there. Last night I was browsing through iTunes and came across a new series of music anthologies called 100 Original Tracks which has, you guessed it, 100 songs by a particular artist. I was excited to see that they had a jazz collection by Quincy Jones. I have one of his albums - This Is How I feel About Jazz (1957) - which is great stuff and features a who's who of jazz superstars including the great Charles Mingus, Art Farmer, my man Paul Chambers, Milt Jackson and Lucky Thompson. (Have a listen to "Sermonette" and I challenge you tell me you don't love it...) I wanted to hear more of his music, so you can understand why I was excited to find a collection that had so much of it. The kicker? The set only cost $6.99! I know! Crazy, right? That's less that 7 cents per song! How could I not buy it? I cleared a gig of space from my iPhone and downloaded it on the spot.


serious value for money...
The downside of sets like this is that there are no liner notes so it is impossible to know what musicians are playing on each track (why doesn't iTunes provide liner notes??) but for the price you truly can't go wrong. I think the set is worth it for the live version of Oliver Nelson's "Stolen Moments" that features some killer trumpet work by Freddie Hubbard.  (Without liner notes, I only know it's him beacuse Quincy introduces him by name... I can recognize some players by their sound alone, but not in this case.) Freddie played on the original recording with Oliver Nelson's killer band, but to be honest, I prefer his playing on this track. Perhaps it is the live setting that has him playing with such intensity...

There are some other fine sets in this line so if you have $20 to spare, you could pick up a few hundred tracks of amazing jazz. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment