Thursday, May 3

Black Coffee in the Morning

the happy couple, pre-Playboy
On my way to the office this morning, just before I pulled off to buy a morning cup, 'Black Coffee' began to play.  This is one of my favourite standards and my preferred version is by the Stan Kenton band, arranged by Bill Holman, and while I am not typically a fan of big band music, this arrangement swings. Ann Richards never sounded better than she did on this song. She was 19 and new to Stan Kenton's band and Stan, aged 43, married her shortly after she joined the group and by all accounts, in spite of the difference in their ages, they had a perfect marriage. They had two kids together and all was going well until the sixth year of marriage for when she posed in Playboy magazine without telling him... Imagine a little something like that coming between a couple!

Ann came to a sad end, like so many in jazz, so instead let's think about her days as a drop dead gorgeous singer with one of the most popular bands in jazz. Have a listen to her and Stan play 'No Moon at All' from the album 'Two Much' they put out shortly before the marriage fell apart.

Doesn't the album title seem too perfect considering the drama that was about to befall them? Where is the Hollywood movie about their time together? Time to call my agent! I'll start writing it tonight!

I wish you would have been there driving with me this morning to hear Ann sing 'Black Coffee' so perfectly. Unfortunately, this particular version isn't available on the web, so you will instead get to enjoy Peggy Lee's fine rendition.

2 comments:

  1. 'No Moon at all'. Wow!
    Great blog. I'm learning a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! That's a great compliment coming from a pro like you!

    ReplyDelete