Thursday, April 19

Tyranny of the Drums

Jimmy's feeling it
I know my friends who are drummers aren't going to be fond of this post, (sorry G-Man, Achtung Baby and Dr. Rockmore...) but Jimmy Giuffre made a fascinating point:

Jimmy Giuffre complained about the 'tyranny of the drums' in jazz, and that the only non-tyrannical drummer was no drummer at all.

- from the liner notes to 'Herb Ellis Meets Jimmy Giuffre'

Now I am a fan of drums in jazz, but I can see Jimmy's point. He wanted the freedom that came without having that person whacking away behind him. As much as I love Art Blakey I don't think he would have added much to the beautiful trio Jimmy formed with Jim Hall. Once they added Bob Brookmeyer to the mix they had one of my favourite groups ever (yes, you keen readers will notice that I use the phrase 'favourite group ever' an awful lot... but cut me some slack... there are so many groups to love in jazz, surely you are learning this by now, aren't you?).

jazz in a peaceful setting
While he may have not liked playing with drummers, I would point out that one of my favourite Jimmy recordings is the album he made with the Modern Jazz Quartet (another of my favourite groups ever...) "The Modern Jazz Quartet at Music Inn." Perhaps he could work with Connie Kay's drumwork, since he did have a style all his own; one that fit perfectly with the rest of the band. He didn't the need to dominate the group. One of the things I love about the MJQ, and this recording in particular, is how well they play together and how well they compliment one another. Jimmy fits perfectly into this ensemble and it's a shame the five didn't record together more often. If you get a chance, listen to 'Fugue' or 'Fun' from this album.

Have a listen to the group play 'Serenade' from that concert, which must have been a treat for those in attendance.

[Feel free to ignore the video of the guy playing bass in this YouTube clip... focus on the fine music]

No comments:

Post a Comment