Tuesday, April 17

Albums That All Humans Should Own #6

I had a difficult time deciding on this one; not on the band, since the Art Farmer/Benny Golson Jazztet is one of my favourite bands ever, but the decision was whether I should recommend that you rush out to pick up a single album, or if you are an iTunes user (which has many cheap delights for us jazz aficionados) you can download the incredible Complete Argo Mercury recordings. Since the complete set is somewhat pricey (I see it as a steal at $49.99: it does have 95 tracks of which none are weak) I thought I would go with the single album:

'Meet the Jazztet' (1960) by Art Farmer and Benny Golson is my sixth pick of essential albums that all humans should own.

The band line-up says it all:
Art Farmer on trumpet. He is one of the finest players out there. I love his lyricism and his effortless playing.
Benny Golson on tenor sax. Not only is Benny a great player, he is also one of the best writers/arrangers in jazz. He wrote four of the eleven tracks including 'I Remember Clifford' and 'Killer Joe'.
You also go the wonderful Curtis Fuller on trombone, and for those of you who have been following along you know that I have a fondness for Curtis' playing.
And then you have McCoy Tyner on piano making his recording debut. He would of course go on to play in John Coltrane's wonderful quartet of the '60s as well as having a fine solo career which continues to this day.

The music is top-notch and even though it is a large group, it isn't unwieldy. I really can't recommend it highly enough.

Have a listen to 'Killer Joe'. Cool or what? It captures the group at its finest.
Still, if you want to treat yourself, I recommend dipping into your pocketbook and springing for the complete recordings. You won't regret it. It was formerly a Mosaic boxset which would have cost over $150, so you know that those fine folks have filled this set with riches.
I wish I had never heard this band and could spend a few weeks letting the 95 tracks of this set wash over me as they did when I first heard them. I am envious of those of you who have yet to discover this great band!

No comments:

Post a Comment